Meet Adrian


I met Adrian again this morning, at Krui Left. Our first meeting was at The Peak, about August, 2011. When the first time I met him, he had been staying in Krui for a month. Then he went away for a while, looking for other potential surf spots. And now he come back to Krui again for another one month. He told me that he had been to Linau, a small town in Bengkulu, north of Krui.

Adrian is from South Africa, originally, but he has been living in Australia for ten years. (Yes, ten years), and he came to Krui from Australia. He worked some kinds of blue collar jobs in Australia, and played Poker. He told me that he was going back to South Africa, and make money out of playing Poker there. “I win most of the time,” he said.

“How come?”

“I know the tricks. I learnt the tricks from books,” he expained.

I was taken aback. I think this is the first time I met someone who plays Poker for a living.

“Or, I may be going to Hong Kong, and play Poker there.”

Yes, Hong Kong is the right place, I guess.

Adrian is an easy-to-talk kind of man, and he is nice.  He makes friends to many surfers as well as local people. The first time I met him he tried to speak all Indonesian, but I kept on speaking English, and he gave up, turning to English. He speaks Indonesian quite well, though. And I know that he is learning the language, and so do I. (I am sorry mate, we are both language learners. You can speak Indonesian to others ….)

The first time I met him I was awestruck with his resemblance with Barry Gibb.

“Who is Barry Gibb?” he asked.

“The eldest brother in Bee Gees.”

 “Really? What’s one of the Bee Gees’ song?”

“Staying Alive?”

“Yeah.”

He sang the refrain of the song.

Uh, uh, uh … staying alive, staying alive ….”

Uh, uh, uh … staying aliiiiiiive ….”

And push the multi-spot shutter button of his camera.

Click, lick, click, click, click ….

“This is my last day, I am leaving tomorrow,” he said.

comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Hasim's Space | Design by Blog template in collaboration with Concert Tickets, and Menopause symptoms
Powered by Blogger